Monday, October 22, 2012

Boy, oh boy was I wrong...

Way wrong. Like the wrongest I've ever been. (Yes, mom, I know "wrongest" isn't a word, but it seemed to fit.) I fought for months trying to convince everyone around me that I was having a boy. I was caring like anyone would that carries boys - low & straight out. I was craving salty foods - hint toward boy. I wasn't sick.

There are so many other signs that pointed towards boy and I was 100% convinced... until a couple of days before our appointment last Thursday. I started doubting myself, and knowing I lost my baby predictor a few months ago (a different story for another time), deepened my doubt. Could I possibly be carrying a girl? Could I even let myself go there?

My entire life I've pictured myself with a little girl. The bows and the dresses make my heart melt. The possibility of a future cheerleader made me more than excited, but I couldn't go there. All of my friends, except for a couple, and even my sister had given birth to boys in the past 2 & 1/2 years. I felt like I was destined to have a boy.

Fast forward to our appointment last Thursday. 15 minutes later than scheduled we were called back and I climbed onto the table faster than any pregnant lady should have. I was so excited to find out who our child was. It felt like an eternity before the tech could get a clear shot; the baby was on her head when we started - should've been a clear sign.

When she finally got the baby into position it was pretty clear - there was nothing resting between those legs. Looking back on it now, we can clearly see what the ultrasound tech saw, but at the time we had no idea what we were looking at. Without completely humiliating our child, I'll spare you the details and just say that with complete confidence the tech proudly announced, "It's a girl!"

I gasped. Ryan gasped. I looked over at him and he already had tears in his eyes. I began crying for the first time since I got pregnant. That's right - this cry baby hasn't cried once during this entire process. Something about learning the sex of our baby suddenly made it real to me. We are having a daughter. Our world has completely changed.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


 

2 comments:

  1. Love this post, Ames!! Could not be more excited about this baby GIRL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girls are awesome!! So excited for this, and sorry I missed you Sunday!

    ReplyDelete