Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Basement Bathroom Redo

Sunday afternoon Ryan took off for a few hours to play a round of golf. I decided (for once) not to waste away a Sunday afternoon by clearing out my TVO and decided to tackle the basement bathroom. I must preface this remodel with a couple of points:
  • We moved from a 1 bathroom house to a 3 and 1/2 bathroom house. In our old house I was forced to stick with traditional, neutral colors.
  • I have a hint of hippy in my blood and sometimes tend to lean towards a bohemian style.


Here's a couple of shots of the bathroom before. The powder blue color just didn't work for me. It actually looked more aqua in person.




Aaaaaannnnnd.... AFTER! I pulled the wall color, a muted sea foam green, from the curtains (Christopher Lowell is somewhere clapping his hands furiously.) I knew I wanted something in the green or blue family for the walls, and when I saw these curtains from World Market, I immediately fell in love.
It's actually just one curtain. I couldn't stomach spending $70 on curtains for a bathroom that's rarely visited, and I knew my window wasn't very wide, so I came up with the idea to buy one panel, cut it in half and hem the sides to make two panels. One $35 panel is much more my style.

I folded the panel in half, then cut straight down. I wasn't particularly careful about my line being perfectly straight because of how well these curtains hang.

I had hemming tape, but opted for this hemming glue instead and it worked perfectly. Plus, I like the name. Liquid Stitch sounds like an awesome band.

I let the curtains dry over night (mainly because I got tired of working and wanted to watch my recorded shows.)

Here's a close-up of the curtain detail. Again - I love World Market!

One last picture of the "after." There's still a lot of work to do... rugs, new hardware, light fixtures, a toilet that isn't broken (thanks, Baker), but it's a good start & gets me motivated to work on the rest of the house!

2 comments:

  1. I love this post! It is so you (and also reminds me a bit of myself). Although, I must ask, why didn't you just use duct tape to "hem" the curtains?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like it, but the duct tape is a Debbie Blume one-year-in-a-dorm-room-fix thing. I had to make it last longer :) You crack me up!

      Delete