Wednesday, May 8, 2013

The Baby {Weight} Drop

The taboo topic. A woman's weight. You just don't go there. Well... I am. I've always, to a fault, been brutally honest, even about myself. No topic is off limits with me and that's not going to change now that I have a baby. It may actually get worse, so brace yourself. I've already revealed that I gained 33 pounds when I was pregnant with Miller and that I still have 9 to lose. Make that 10. I somehow managed to gain a pound in the last 3 days. Sweet.

My college roommate told me that she thought I was brave for revealing my number. At least I think that's what she said. Maybe it's just what I wanted to hear. Even though women gain weight for a VERY good cause when they're pregnant, it doesn't make it any easier to see the numbers climb on the scale. I tried to explain it to my husband, but I've conceded that he'll never understand. Angst about weight gain during pregnancy, among other things, just can't be understood by the opposite sex.

When I'm not wiping spit-up off my clothes or combing it out of my hair, I spend time picking up the house, working from home, and now planning how I'm going to drop the last 10 pounds. I've started focusing on eating better and trying to remember what exercises worked best for me in the past. I know my body will take a while to get back to normal, but there's nothing wrong with nudging it along, right? During Miller's middle of the night feeding last night, well, actually this morning, I got tickled while looking through Pinterest. Staring me right in the face was a picture of a mom of two who looked like a real-life Barbie. The caption under the picture read "1 year postpartum with baby number 2! Blog is full of work outs, clean recipes and tips on how to get back in shape after baby!." You know I jumped on that Pin like white on rice and I quickly realized that this lady worked out twice a day. You read that right. Twice. Ugh uh. No way. Not going to happen.




The closer I looked, the more I realized that she reminded me of those fitness pageant contestants. Why you ask? BECAUSE SHE WAS ONE! Geez louise. I couldn't help but laugh.

My sister & I loved to watch the Fitness America pageants back in the 90's. well, maybe it was just me watching, but either way, I always managed to find them on TV. I loved their fitness routines. they were always a mix of dance, gymnastics & aerobics - right up my alley. I would try to mimic their routines, usually fairly successfully, and I even mastered the one-leg push up that they all seemed to be so impressed by. If you catch me on a good day I may bust it out for you. Of course I was a gymnast at the time, and all of eight years old, so I should've been able to do that stuff.



I was never impressed with anything else, especially not their bodies. I thought they looked like men in high heels with boobs.



Needless to say, that look isn't what I'm striving for. I just want to be a healthy individual who's confident in a bathing suit. Too much to ask after having a child? I think not.

Before I had Miller I told myself I had until our beach trip to lose the baby weight - 13 weeks. I now have 8 & 1/2 weeks to go, which means I have to crack down.

I'm going to be counting calories, and hopefully after my 6-week appointment next Tuesday, I'll be working out again. Here's how I'm hoping to look when I stroll by the sea this year...



















 
 
Just kidding :)


I've decided to track my progress on this blog. This is 100% for myself, so I won't blame anyone for not reading these particular entries. I want to be able to see what works for me. Wish me luck! This might not be much fun, but it will be real.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you addressed that pin on Pinterest! I saw that one a while ago and thought the very same thing!

    You're doing awesome on your goal!! XO

    ReplyDelete