Saturday, May 4, 2013

Miller's Birth Story

Miller Elizabeth Grubbs
Born April 3, 2013 at 4:58 pm
8 pounds 8 ounces
21.5 inches long
We welcomed Miller into the world one month ago yesterday. It's amazing to me how fast time has flown since her birth. I had every intention to do this post last week (and the week before), but then I started holding her & loving on her & before I knew it four weeks had passed.
We are so in love with our daughter and we think she's just perfect. I want to remember all of the details of her arrival, so I've decided to document all of the parts that weren't erased by the narcotics.

If you've been following my blog, you know that Miller measured ahead for most of the pregnancy, so I was expecting a big baby. The tech told me that if I delivered at 40 weeks, she'd likely be between 8-9 pounds. Dead on, sister.

Anticipating that she would be a sizable nugget, I asked to be induced on my due date. We had to be at the hospital at 5:00 on Tuesday night, April 2nd. Of course we were just sitting around staring at each other all afternoon, so what else was there to do? ...we went to Chick-fil-A for a cookie & lemonade.

We went into the hospital the night before so that I could get medicine to "thin me out" the rest of the way. Sorry for the TMI, but it's the details that count. The doctor on call checked me & determined that I was progressing well on my own, so I didn't get any meds to speed things up, but I got a sweet Ambien and slept like a baby. Ryan, on the other hand, didn't get an ounce of sleep on his cot on the floor.

At 4:00 the next morning, the nurse came & woke me up so that I could get a shower. At 5:00, they started my Pitocin and I was officially in labor. Around 8:00 family started showing up & popping in the room. It gave me a lot of comfort to see them & we really appreciate them all coming & hanging out all day!


When they weren't in the room with me, everyone was camping out in the hallway. I'm really surprised the hospital staff didn't make them move back to the waiting room!

At 10:00 my doctor broke my water (I'll spare you the details), and at 3:00 I was ready to push. I pushed for about 30 minutes, and not much happened. My doctor told me to take a break, so of course, I fell asleep! I slept until about 4:30 when she came back in & we got back to business. Almost 30 minutes later, Miller finally made her way into the world.

I make it sound easy, but believe me, giving birth to an 8lb 8oz baby wasn't a piece of cake. I would've enjoyed a piece of cake right then, but that's another story.

As soon as the doctor put Miller on my chest for the first time, Ryan and I fell in love with this new little person. How does that happen so quickly?

We were able to spend some time with her, just the three of us, before our families came in. That was the most special time and I'll never forget it.

All of our immediate family stayed at the hospital all day and it was such a blessing to have them all there!

Although some of the less-favorable details of this day are now somewhat fuzzy, I'll never forget the feeling of holding my child for the first time, and the moment when Ryan and I fell in love with our little girl.


No comments:

Post a Comment